PAWS is a limited-admission, non-euthanasia shelter. This means no animal has a "time-limit" and we have a finite number of cages and foster homes available. Because the problem of animal overpopulation is so widespread, we often maintain a waiting list for surrender. Still, we strive to rescue and rehome as many dogs and cats in need as possible, prioritizing the intake of animals most in need of immediate assistance. We are happy to add new animals to our waiting list and encourage owners or rescuers to actively seek alternative placements even while on our waiting list.
Alternatives to Rehoming
- If you are seeking a new home for your pet because of behavioral reasons, please check our pages on Cat Behavioral Issues or Dog Behavioral Resources first. Remember that animals who are feeling unwell may exhibit behaviors that you have never seen before, such as snapping or inappropriate urination. Please check with your veterinarian before rehoming an animal for behavioral reasons.
- Ask/email relatives and friends if they know of any acquaintances who would be interested in adopting a pet, either short- or long-term.
- If you have found a kitten or a litter of kittens and need information on how to care for them, please see our Caring for Kittens page.
Rehome with PAWS
If you wish to rehome your animal with PAWS, please complete our rehoming form below. You may also call (814) 237-8722 to leave a message about surrendering an animal, but we strongly prefer tracking our surrender requests online. If you do not hear back from us within 48 hours of submitting a rehoming form, please check your spam folder and/or follow up with an email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (as appropriate by species) or by phone. We have found that not all devices are compatible with our forms. Our staff and volunteers want to get back to you as soon as possible, so follow up if you do not get a reply.
- Cat Rehoming Application Form - Please note that cat surrenders are limited to individuals who live, work, or attend school full-time in Centre County.
- Dog Rehoming Application Form
- Post on national Rehome website by Adopt-a-Pet.com and The Petco Foundation
- Try contacting other other Animal Welfare Organizations in Central PA
- If you see someone abandoning an animal, please contact your local police or humane officer.