Centre County PAWS Medical Assistant Job Description
Location: State College, PA
Position type: Part time, 10-15 hours/week
Experience: 2+ years
Desired education level: High School/GED required, secondary education or veterinary certification strongly preferred
A Medical Assistant is needed for 10-15 hours per week on weekends. This position reports to the Medical Manager.
- Work with the PAWSMedical Manager to ensure proper medical care of all PAWS animals
- Ensure information regarding health of our animals is effectively communicated to volunteers, staff, fosters, adopters
- Assist in updating to all medical records and animal databases
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Superb animal restraint abilities and proficiency in Fear Free and safe-handling techniques
- Ability to calmly handle large dogs and fractious cats
- Vampire-like ability to draw blood
- Ability to properly dispense medications, administer vaccinations, and implant microchips
- Proficiency in running fecal examinations ideal but not required
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a volunteer/staff group
- Must be able to bend and kneel repeatedly. Must be able to work standing for 4 hours or more.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs. Must have a good range of motion in back, knees, wrists.
- Must have an acceptable sense of balance and ability to navigate through cramped areas.
- COVID-19 specific considerations - Works directly with visitors of unknown COVID-19 exposure history and in close proximity to a number of PAWS staff and volunteers. Required to wear a mask through the majority, if not all, of scheduled shifts.
Centre County PAWS is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
For those interested in applying, please submit your resume to our Medical Manager (email@example.com) to be considered