The problem of animal overpopulation is widespread and affects Centre County on a daily basis. While PAWS strives to rescue and rehome as many dogs and cats as possible, we simply do not have the capability to accept every single animal that comes our way. Our cage and kennel space is limited. Cat surrenders are limited to individuals who live, work, or attend school full-time in Centre County. We are happy to add new applicants to our waiting list, but the list can become long so we actively encourage owners and rescuers to seek alternatives.
We ask that potential applicants familiarize themselves with the information below before contacting PAWS. This will assist our volunteers in the time and effort they spend with each applicant. After reading this information, if you would like to rehome your animal with PAWS, please call (814) 237-8722 to leave a message about surrendering an animal, or complete our rehoming form:
Family & Friends
- Ask/email relatives and friends if they know of any acquaintances who would be interested in adopting a pet, either short- or long-term.
Advertise Locally and Online
- Post flyers in vets' offices and at work
- Post on national Rehome website by Adopt-a-Pet.com and The Petco Foundation
- Post a free advertisement in the Centre Daily Times
- Post an ad on StateCollege.com and WeAreCentralPA.com
- Post an ad on Craigslist
- Post a free advertisement in the Bargain Sheet
Try contacting other other Animal Welfare Organizations in Central PA
Rescues that May Accept FIV+/FLV+ Cats
- Helen Krause Foundation
- Orphans of the Storm
- Pets Come First
- Best Little Cat House in PA ** FIV and FeLV cats are housed together, and asymptomatic and symptomatic cats are housed together **
If you see someone abandoning an animal, please call your local police. Not only does this leave the animal defenseless, hungry, without shelter, and at high risk of injury or death, it is illegal and individuals are subject to fines and jail time.
Rehome with PAWS
After reading the information on this page, if you would like to rehome your animal with PAWS, please call (814) 237-8722 to leave a message about surrendering an animal, or complete our rehoming form:
If you do not hear back from us within 48 hours of submitting a rehoming form, please follow up with an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com (as appropriate by species) or by phone. We have found that not all devices are compatible with our forms. Our staff and volunteers want to get back to you as soon as possible, so follow up if you do not get a reply.