Company: Centre County PAWS
Location: State College, PA
Position type: Full time, exempt
Supervised by: Executive Director
Supervises: Adoption Assistants, Volunteers
Love animals? Want to spend your day surrounded by wagging tails and soft purrs?
Centre County PAWS (PAWS) is an independent, privately funded, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, and has been serving people and pets in Centre County for over 40 years. PAWS is leading the charge for animal welfare through community education programs, creative marketing techniques, and effective homeless animal prevention strategies. In a typical year, PAWS adopts 300 dogs and 650 cats. PAWS is a growing organization, and we are looking for an Operations Manager or Senior Operations Manager (depending on experience) to enhance the experience of volunteers, community members, and most importantly animals in the surrounding area!
Overview: The Operations Manager/Senior Operations Manager is responsible for leading the day-to-day operations related to animal care, adoptions, and volunteer management. The Operations Manager provides leadership, oversight, and long-range planning to ensure that all areas of the shelter are functioning at the highest standard possible.
- Lead employees and volunteers in effective animal care ensuring policies and practices are followed and updated as needed.
- Attract, train, retain, motivate, and develop employees and volunteers. Promote collaboration, assist in conflict resolution, and foster effective communication.
- Oversee day-to-day operations by actively monitoring personnel and ensure proper coverage of shifts in all areas. Perform staff and volunteer responsibilities to help with the daily flow or to cover unexpected staff shortages, as needed.
- Stay up to date on best practices in animal welfare through informal education, including professional development conferences.
- Assess operational effectiveness and implement process improvement/enhancement measures for optimal animal experience and advocacy; own outcomes related to animal experiences.
- Oversee intakes and adoptions and ensure visitors receive accurate information and excellent customer service.
- Learn companion animal behaviors to ensure the humane treatment of all shelter animals; create introduction, behavior, and adoption plans for successful handling and adoptions.
- A passion for safety; enforcing safe behaviors and policies and educating new volunteers and staff on safety practices.
- Maintains daily/weekly statistics and evaluates data to increase the ability to help more animals, increase adoptions.
- Proactively drive adoptions and programs: strategize, develop, and implement initiatives that streamline operations, improve customer service, and/or enhance programs, ensuring the continued growth and progress with annual goals.
- Collaborate with foster coordinators gathering new information to promote our foster animals.
- Prior leadership and/or operations experience including supervising and developing employees or processes.
- Proven ability to lead and delegate tasks to others for successful and timely completion of tasks.
- Accumulated knowledge of and compassion for domestic animals and experience of how to use best practices to minimize fear, anxiety, and stress in companion animals.
- Ability to motivate, empower and provide solutions for team success in an empathetic working environment that inspires the team.
- Demonstrated ability to work well without close supervision.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic understanding of veterinary medical needs
- Must live within or be willing to relocate within a 30 minute driving distance of State College due to on-call/quick response to animals needs
- Ability to work in an emotionally taxing field
- Commitment to our Core Values of compassion, generosity, open communication, and responsible practices
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including weekends and some nights; this is an on-call position
- Applicants for the Operations Manager are required to have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and 3 years or equivalent experience. Applicants with at least 5 years’ experience as an operations manager in a shelter environment and a bachelor’s degree or equivalent will be considered for the senior manager role.
Centre County PAWS is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Resumes can be emailed to Executive Director, Lisa Bahr, at firstname.lastname@example.org.