Title: Adoption Assistant
Company: Centre County PAWS
Location: State College, PA
Position type: Part time, 20 hours/week
- Minimum of two years of experience in a customer service or counseling environment
- Proven ability to handle multiple tasks in a busy workplace environment
- Ability to understand and effectively teach methods of humane animal care and treatment
- Ability to firmly and respectfully deny any adoption applicant who does not meet PAWS guidelines
Desired education level: High school diploma/GED required
Date posted: 12/13/2018
Description: Responsible for assisting the public on adoption related concerns, and following PAWS policies and procedures to find appropriate homes for as many of the shelter’s adoptable animals as possible. Employee serves as supervisor of all volunteer “Adoption Helpers/Floor Volunteers” and works cooperatively with Adoption Counselors.
- Assist the public in making appropriate adoption matches
- Explain PAWS adoption policies and processes to potential adopters (check landlord requirements, check vetting history, schedule meet and greets, etc.)
- Use strong customer service skills to process applications in a positive, firm, and non-threatening manner
- Schedule holds on animals as needed
- Conduct adoption, medical, and behavioral consultations as needed
- Pull previously processed applications that are approved [by you or other] Adoption Counselors
- Collect and review health and behavioral data for the animal
- Confirm the adoption consultation time and directions with potential adopter
- Review all pertinent information on the adoption application with potential adopter
- Determine if the potential home is an appropriate match, and approve or deny
- Conduct final adoption processes in its entirety
- Schedule adoption time and pre-adoption spay/neuter appointment if appropriate
- Ensure that all adoption related literature is assembled and complete prior to the adoption consultation
- Assist volunteers and Adoption Counselors with all activities prior to scheduled adoptions
- Maintain folders with paperwork for all actions associated with the adoption, ensuring that information is exchanged clearly and paperwork completed accurately
- Advise shelter staff/volunteers of scheduled pick up time as well as any required pre-adoption medical procedures
- Maintain awareness of and communication with all Foster-To-Adopters. Stay in touch with as needed for alter appointments, vaccination boosters, etc. and schedule adoption as appropriate in a timely fashion.
- Assist Adoption Counselors with short term adoption follow-ups as requested by AC’s
- Gain a thorough understanding of departmental SOPs
- Become proficient in essential software
- Submit all time sheets in a timely manner
- Retrieve voicemails and emails related to adoptions daily, forwarding calls and addressing issues personally as needed
- Alert Director of Operations to current and future supply needs to prevent shortages
- Place necessary signs on cages
- Attend training and/or read animal shelter related literature to ensure a current and relevant working knowledge
- Learn to identify all common dog and cat breeds
- Develop a working knowledge of all animals available for adoption through hands-on interaction (approximately 4 hours total of weekly dog care and cat care shift assistance required), review of related paperwork, and database information
- Develop specific knowledge for each animal currently in the shelter including name, type, age, sex, and behavioral and medical considerations.
- Provide support to the PAWS adoption teams by serving as main contact and trainer for Floor Volunteers.
- Maintain Floor Volunteer email list, sending regular updates.
- Oversee Floor Volunteer work, intervening and encouraging as needed.
- Assist in keeping adoption areas neat and clean
- Assist at PAWS special events as requested
- Participate in staff meetings to share ideas and suggest methods for improving animal care and PAWS procedures
- Conduct emergency intakes upon approval of intake coordinators or Director of Operations.
- Indoors in a high noise air-conditioned/heated building, outdoors at shelter or on-location for various activities
- Equipment use includes use of PC, laser printer, copy machine, fax machine, telephone, microchip scanner
- Work hours will vary. Evening and weekend hours will be required
MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND COMMUNICATION DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regular exposure to animals, cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal feces, bites, scratches, and Zoonotic diseases
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and be pulled by dogs in excess of 100 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly required to sit, talk, and hear.
- Regularly required to stand and walk.
- Regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feet and reach with hands and arms.
- Requires working alone or with minimal supervision. Must be self motivated.
- Requires patience and tact when working with difficult, emotional, or angry people.
- Requires speaking and writing effectively and clearly in a professional manner.
- Requires clear verbal communication over the telephone and intercom systems to internal and external individuals.
- Requires treating people and animals in a pleasant, courteous and professional manner.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job related duties required by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.
Centre County PAWS is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer
For those interested in applying, please submit your resume to our Director of Operations to be considered.